American Academy of Pediatrics
AAP recommendations on creating a safe sleep environment include:
- Place the baby on his or her back on a firm sleep surface such as a crib or bassinet with a tight-fitting sheet.
- Avoid use of soft bedding, including crib bumpers, blankets, pillows and soft toys. The crib should be bare.
- Share a bedroom with parents, but not the same sleeping surface, preferably until the baby turns 1 but at least for the first six months. Room-sharing decreases the risk of SIDS by as much as 50 percent.
- Be sure to share this information with babysitters, grandparents and other caregivers. It is also important for parents and all caregivers to take an infant CPR course.
- Avoid baby’s exposure to smoke, alcohol and illicit drugs.